Mesothelioma is a rare but aggressive cancer that most often develops in the lining of the lungs. The main cause of mesothelioma is exposure to asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral that was once widely used in a variety of industries.
In general, mesothelioma lawsuits fall into one of two categories: personal injury lawsuits and wrongful death lawsuits.
Mesothelioma lawsuits are filed by people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma or family members of those who have died from the disease.
These lawsuits can be filed against:
- Companies that manufactured asbestos-containing products
- Companies that used asbestos-containing products, or the estate of a deceased company executive
- Companies that mined asbestos
- The federal government
In most cases, mesothelioma lawsuits are filed against companies that manufactured asbestos-containing products or used asbestos-containing products. These companies knew or should have known about the dangers of asbestos exposure but failed to warn their employees or customers.
Compensation Available to Victims of Mesothelioma
Victims of mesothelioma who file lawsuits may be eligible for compensation for:
- Medical expenses: This can include the cost of treatment, surgery, and hospitalization.
- Lost wages: Lost income from being unable to work while receiving treatment for mesothelioma.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for the physical and emotional pain caused by mesothelioma.
- Wrongful death: Compensation for the loss of a loved one due to mesothelioma.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are designed to punish the company responsible for the exposure to asbestos.
Worker's compensation claims can be filed by people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. These claims are filed against the employer, and they can be used to recover medical expenses and lost wages.
Mesothelioma victims may still be eligible for compensation through asbestos trust funds. These trust funds were set up by companies that manufactured asbestos-containing products. The trust fund can provide victims with compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
How a Mesothelioma Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be entitled to compensation.
An asbestos lawyer can:
- Investigate your exposure to asbestos
- File a mesothelioma lawsuit on your behalf
- Handle all aspects of your case including discovery, negotiation, and trial
- Help you secure the compensation you deserve
While no amount of money can make up for the physical and emotional pain caused by mesothelioma, compensation from a lawsuit can help cover medical expenses and lost wages. It can also provide you with some measure of justice.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may have legal options. A personal injury attorney can help you understand your rights and options. An attorney can also help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Remember that time is of the essence when it comes to filing a mesothelioma lawsuit. There are deadlines for filing these lawsuits, and if you miss the deadline, you may be barred from recovering compensation.